The State University West Georgia
Business & Finance Division
Campus Planning and Facilities Assessment
FY 2002 - 2003
Institutional Mission Reference
Providing educational excellence in a personal environment through an intellectually stimulating and supportive community for its students, faculty, and staff. Our role is to provide a pleasing ‘environment’ for our students, faculty and staff, while also supporting them and the community that surrounds us. As our motto states: “Professionally we serve, Personally we care.”
Institutional Goals Supported
“Bread and Butter” Goal 5, 7, 8 and 10
Intended Objective 1
Conduct an organizational assessment, planning and improvement process using NACUBO’s Excellence in Higher Education Materials as well as APPA’s Strategic Assessment Model (SAM).
Method for Assessing Objective 1
Intended Objective 2
- Provide baseline measures and a standard of comparison using an accepted assessment framework.
- Serve as a tool for our strategic planning, organizational development, as well as leadership and professional development.
- Evaluate our organizational strengths and identify areas for continuous improvement.
- Assist us in facilitating our communication with our constituents and customers.
- Provide a proactive and constructive response to performance measurement and accountability.
- Identify the strategies to pursue the challenges of declining resources and increased demands.
- Implement strategies to comply with “Must” statements as outlined in the SACS Criteria for “Risk Management” and “Physical Resources”. Develop, implement, and annually assess/evaluate the safety and loss control manual.
Develop and implement a program to create and enhance UWG’s historic properties.
Method for Assessing Objective 2
Intended Objective 3
- Ensure we meet Department of Natural Resources Historic Preservation Division Guidelines as outlined in the construction of Adamson Hall.
- Identify our historic facilities – by conducting facility condition analysis.
- Develop a plan to incorporate our historic properties in the Master Plan Update to insure we are consistent and compatible with UWG planning needs.
- Outline a program that identifies the character, defining characteristics of our historic properties, including inherent capabilities.
- Develop and design our operation and maintenance programs for historic facilities.
- Develop and outline strategies for the “landscape and hardscape” opportunities in our historic district.
- Develop; design a plan to create an historic district for the UWG campus.
- Provide consultation with our Alumni/Foundation regarding grants as well as other funding opportunities.
Develop and Implement a Comprehensive Energy Policy as part of an Energy Conservation Program.
Method for Assessing Objective 3
Intended Objective 4
- Develop a purpose and a vision for Energy Management and Conservation at UWG.
- Establish an energy conservation committee that involves students, faculty and staff.
- Determine current “status” of energy conservation programs; review financial and historical trends; review current capital plans regarding utility infrastructure; review current operation and maintenance programs and determine areas of improvement.
- Develop goals and strategies to conserve energy and reduce/contain rising energy costs.
- Implement energy “measures” in an effort for UWG to become a leader in energy conservation in the University System of Georgia.
Provide strategies to enhance and develop initiatives for Campus Planning.
Method for Assessing Objective 4
Intended Objective 5
- Update the Comprehensive 5 year strategy and plan for Capital Plan finalized in March 2001.
- Coordinate plans with the UWG community regarding the development of the capital plan submission for 2004.
- Follow-up and implement our comprehensive strategies to improve communication and processes for project planning, construction, and management – Phase II.
- Follow-up on programs to enhance overall Facilities program at UWG by developing and implementing a parking, traffic and pedestrian safety evaluation and report; completing the Forest Drive “planning enhancements”; implementing phase III of signage improvements; implementing the next phase of the UWG Arboretum.
- Complete “year five” programming for the Health Wellness Life-Long Learning Center for submission in FY03 Capital Plan update.
- Update and coordinate our “space planning” program implemented in June 2001.
- Continue to work with the City of Carrollton officials on traffic and other issues of mutual interest.
- Develop and implement strategies consistent with BOR guidelines concerning the Master Plan update due in May 2003.
Implement a program to construct additional Housing by “Privatization of University Housing” as outlined in UWG’s Housing Plan.
Method for Assessing Objective 5
- Assist the UWG Foundation in the preparation of an RFP to construct Phase I, 600 beds of suite housing.
- Have information available, retain site assessment, Georgia Environment Policy Act, and other due diligence matters to “affect” a ground lease.
- Continue to provide periodic information updates to the BOR – Office of Facilities.
- Provide logistical support to Student Affairs, Financial Affairs, and the UWG Foundation regarding such issues as the preparation of the management agreement and other required documents.
- Support and serve the Foundation in design and construction activities.
- Insure the project meets current UWG design standards and is “acceptable/consistent” with University inventory of facilities.